Splash For Hope: An Innovative Fundraising Initiative for Civil Society Organisations
The SANAC Civil Society Forum recently launched a bold fundraising initiative, Splash For Hope, to assist civil society organisations working in HIV response. This was motivated by the dire shortage of funds and other resources needed by such organisations to function effectively.
Civil society organisations are credited to have been at the forefront of ending AIDS in South Africa, however, the fickle funding climate presents adverse challenges against their work. Through a fun, yet effective way of raising funds, Splash For Hope is a campaign calling on all South Africans to work together in support of people living with HIV. Funds are raised through a ‘Dunk or Donate’ challenge where a person may choose to donate or be dunked in a water tank. The person being challenged makes their choice and then nominates the next person.
Participants should then record the donation (or the dunk) and share on the Splash For Hope social media platforms on Twitter and Facebook using the hash tag #DunkOrDonate.
Splash For Hope is a bold campaign because it aims to kill two birds with one stone (or three in this case) through the following ways:
- Raise funds through the ‘Dunk or Donate’ challenge with a projected R10 – 20 million annually.
- Raise awareness about South Africa’s National Strategic Plan (NSP) on HIV, TB and STIs, particularly its focus on achieving the 90-90-90 targets and keeping adolescent girls and young women HIV negative.
- Celebrate South Africa’s successes on HIV response.
A fundraising initiative that accommodates all
The campaign is tailored to ensure that all South Africans from all walks of life are able to make a contribution. It is broken down into four categories to accommodate the different LSMs:
- Platinum Challenge: this is for high profile individuals like CEOs, politicians, business people etc. These individuals will need to donate R150 000 or more.
- Gold Challenge: this is for corporates and organisations where employees can challenge each other or raise funds as a company and then challenge their CEO to ‘Dunk or Donate’.
- Silver Challenge: this is for DJs, presenters and celebrities to challenge each other to a popularity contest to raise funds through their followers/listeners/supporters. This goes on for a week and the one with the lowest amount raised gets dunked.
- Bronze Challenge: this is for the general public through activations staged by Splash For Hope at strategic public locations where anyone passing by can donate and challenge the next person to donate or be dunked. This is platform will also be highly used for NSP awareness and to educate the public about progress made on HIV response efforts.
- SMS Donations: Members of the public can also SMS “Hope” to 36239 to make ad-hoc donations. SMS costs R5.
For more information about the campaign and how you or your company/institution can participate, please search for ‘Splash For Hope’ on Facebook and Twitter or contact Tshepang Koloko: 011 339 1000 / firstname.lastname@example.org