The South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response.
Name of Position : Trust Secretary
Reporting to : Board of Trustees & Chief Executive Officer
Level : D4
Location : SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Duration : 3 Year contract
Purpose of the job
To ensure adherence to sound corporate governance processes and effective, efficient administration of the governance function that guides and supports the Board and Executive management as to their duties, responsibilities and powers. To act as a point of communication between the BoT and Executive Management. To provide high level secretarial and administrative support to the Board and Board Committees.
- Lead the implementation of the Board Charter
- Clarify governance structures, delegation of authority, roles, responsibilities and plans of the BoT
- Provide Terms of Reference for Board Committees
- Implement the Board Charter timeously and within budgetary constraints
- Perform with highest quality standards
- Act as legal advisor to the CEO
- Ensure the Company Secretarial function is fully capacitated
- Manage and motivate team to respond objectively and professionally to business objectives
- Oversee policies, making sure they are kept up to date and referred to appropriate committees for approval
- Advise of legal and governance implications of proposed policies
- Monitoring of change in applicable legislative framework and taking relevant action
- Risk management
- Provide a professional administrative and meeting coordination support for the BoT and Executive Management
- Keep precise records
- Maintain statutory books, including registers
- Develop and maintain an effective document management/filing system (electronical and manual)
- Facilitate on boarding for Board members
- Manage professional development of Board members and Executive Management
- Effective scheduling, venue bookings, coordination and management of quarterly meetings for the following governance structures:
- Board meetings and Board Subcommittee meetings;
- SANAC Plenary which is a multisector voluntary body Chaired by the Deputy President of the Republic and is tasked with providing leadership to the National HIV, TB and STI response for South Africa at the highest political level;
- Inter-Ministerial Committee on HIV which is a Cabinet subcommittee that considers and recommends to Cabinet the proposed NSP implementation at government level and present any major policy changes that have been agreed to by Plenary to government;
- Programme Review Committee which brings together all of the key national stakeholders involved in HIV, STIs and TB programme implementation to provide technical expertise and to review the programmatic activities of the NSP implementation;
- Arrange logistics for Board members
- Prepare and distribute meeting agendas and meeting packs
- Attend, record and transcribe minutes of Board, Committees, Working Groups, Forums and other meetings as required
- Take minutes ,draft resolutions ,format, edit, print, compile, distribute and upload minutes to the SANAC website in a timely fashion
- Disseminate actions emanating from meetings
- Follow up on actions emanating from meetings
- Track Board decisions for timely response
- Organise and maintain organisational calendar of important meetings
- Arrange teleconference meetings as and when required
- Collate information and write reports
- Establish professional relationships with key stakeholders e.g. The Presidency, DoH, National treasury, The Board, Executive Management
- Identify, acknowledge, recognise all stakeholders
- Determine the influence and interest of stakeholders
- Monitor, influence, keep informed, satisfy and closely manage stakeholders
- Engender trust with all stakeholders
- Ensure decisions made are communicated to stakeholders
- Liaise with external regulators and advisors
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- LLB degree
- A qualification in Company Law from a recognized University will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant functional experience in Corporate governance within the Development/PBO Sector
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Deep knowledge of the applicable legislative and statutory framework and Reports on Corporate Governance
- Understanding of Legislative Compliance
- Understanding of Public Finance management Act and Treasury regulation
- Sound understanding of the King Code
- Governance Framework advisory skills Project management, organisational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently as well as taking a supportive role within a team
- Stakeholder management
- A diplomatic approach and confidence
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to details
- Strong level of integrity, discretion and confidentiality
- Assertive and confident
- Ability to multi task
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Computer literate (MS Office)
Applications and copies of certificates should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email.
Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: Close of Business, 28 November 2017.
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organisation. Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.