Chief Financial Officer
The South African National Aids Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. SANAC is currently recruiting for:
Name of Position: Chief Financial Officer
Reporting to: CEO
Location : SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Duration: 3 years
Purpose of the job
Strategic guidance as well as taking the overall fiduciary responsibility for SANAC Trust as delegated by the CEO and Board of Trustees. Compliance with International Accounting Standards, legislation in South Africa, SARS compliance, the PFMA requirements for public entities that SANAC follows, and other Treasury requirements. Responsible for Internal Audit and External Audit to ensure compliance, and designing and implementing systems for SANAC to meet the necessary requirements. Providing leadership and coordination of all financial functions with a focus on optimizing the performance of SANAC.
- Develop and implement: the 3 yearly Strategic Plan and Risk Analysis, Annual performance Plan (APP), 3 yearly rolling budgeting process, 12 monthly budget and quarterly budget re-forecasting process; advise and facilitate management in these processes;
- Develop and review all accounting and financial internal control systems in order to meet the requirements of Internal and External audit, and in accordance with GAAP, PFMA and Treasury requirements;
- Develop and implement all the finance, procurement and asset policies and procedures
- Design the computerised accounting system to ensure the accounts reflect the three sources of expenditure for SANAC being: direct SANAC expenditure , NDOH, DSD expenditure and International Donors ;
- Manage the relationship with the SANAC bankers to ensure that the proper delegations approved by the Board are complied with;
- Source and manage benefits and risk management relationships
- Conduct technical accounting research, create and maintain accounting policies and procedures
- Manage the processes to allow for sufficient funds to flow into SANAC to meet the operational needs, and take a lead in applying for funds from Treasury, NDOH and Donors;
- Assist the CEO with preparation for Board meetings and donor presentations
- Manage the relationship with the internal and external auditors and ensure responding to audit findings and recommendations;
- Develop and implement improvements in the finance system, as necessary;
- Ensure that systems exist to account for all assets and that an asset register is maintained adequately;
- Quality control of procurement procedures to ensure all purchases are in accordance with PFMA and Treasury requirements, are transparent, and represent the most efficient and cost effectiveness to SANAC;
- Review and take legal advice to ensure that all contracts entered into by SANAC and implement the procedures for awarding contracts in accordance with PFMA and Treasury requirements, and do not represent a risk to SANAC;
- To take appropriate measure to prevent fraud and inappropriate expenditure taking place, and should this occur to take the lead in investigating and responding appropriately.
- Oversee and the management of a team of financial staff and be responsible for job descriptions, establish work plans, and performance goals;
- Regular performance appraisal of financial staff;
- Setting and implementing development plans for financial staff.
- Review the monthly Actual vs Budget accounting reports at the end of each month, including financial narrative, and variance analysis, when necessary, discuss with budget holders and advise Management;
- Review donor reports in accordance with the donor requirements;
- Review annual financial statements prepared in accordance with GAAP and for external audit, and discuss with external auditors;
- Report to the Board of Trustees and Finance Committee of the Board on all financial matters
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- CA (SA) or equivalent qualification
- 5-10 years’ experience in working in complex financial environment
- Ability to propose new direction for strategy execution in a growth environment
- Partnering with management team by fully understanding the organisation, bringing a deep analytical and financial perspective to the leadership team in order to further improve strategy and tactics to execute on strategy
- Extensive knowledge of international donor requirements and their compliance requirements with experience of overseeing complex grants, especially Global Fund, PEPFAR, GIZ, KFW and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Knowledge of SANAC activities and commitment to SANAC Principles
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, and preferably at least one other South African official language
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to show initiative and to provide innovative solutions to challenges facing SANAT
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and awareness of gender issues good mental and physical health
- Understanding of application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in South Africa, Generally Recognised Accounting Practise, and an understanding of international accounting standards and practices
- Knowledge of PFMA and Treasury requirements for Public Entities
- Advanced skills in computers – Windows, spreadsheets, accounting packages (Pastel desirable) and word processing
- Experience of working for a humanitarian aid organisation and/or Public Finance Management entity in South Africa in an Executive role of which 10 years is post-qualification as a chartered accountant.
- Experience of Internal and External audit requirements for organisations and public bodies
- Experience of working in a senior financial management role
- Experience of writing narrative & financial reports, presenting to Board and Finance Committees
- Experience in procurement, commercial & contractual systems, and with PFMA requirements
- Experience of providing technical and project management support and organisational capacity building to other staff
- Experience of preparing proposals to donors and donor reporting requirements
- Experience of managing , training, team building, retaining top- notch financial team
- Demonstrate excellence in implementing rigorous and disciplined financial controls, financial management systems, and performance measures/metrics that benchmark performance and create accountability
- Experience in development of systems and tools for efficient financial management and reporting
- Experience in donor audits at all levels. Understanding of budgeting, financial and contract management
- Ability to operate in a complex organisation, across functions and countries and work on own initiative and collaboratively as part of diverse teams
- Outcome focused and proven ability to think strategically and plan, prioritise and organise a department/team’s work to meet organisation-wide strategic objectives
- Ability to manage a large and varied workload, work under pressure and meet
- Extensive experience in sub-recipient management including reporting
- Communication skills
- Report writing and presentation skills
- Knowledge of contract law
- Computer literate (MS Office) and advanced Microsoft excel
- Knowledge of PFMA requirements
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with diverse cultures and communities
- Have great communication, writing and reporting skills.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Show initiative and be deadline-driven.
- Have good planning and organisational skills.
- Positive attitude, assertive and confident leader
- South African citizenship is required.
Applications and copies of certificates should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: Close of Business, 19 January 2018.
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organisation. Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.