Database Administrator/Health Informatics
The South African National AIDS Council Trust (the SANAC Trust) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV, TB & STIs epidemics. The Trust is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. We are, therefore recruiting a Database Administrator/Health Informatics for our organization. The position is based in Hatfield, Pretoria.
Name of Position : Database Administrator/Health Informatics
Reporting to : Executive Manager: Strategic Information
Location : Pretoria
Job level : D1
Duration : 2 years
Advert Date : 18 December 2019
Purpose of the job
Situation Room Database Administrator/Health Informatics (DBA/HI) responsibility will be the performance, integrity and security of the SR database. They will be involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. They will need to have knowledge in Strategic Information and Monitoring and Evaluation.
The DBA/ HI will ensure that:
- Data remains consistent and accurate across the database
- Maintain the business matrix and ensure it is implemented
- Data is clearly defined
- Users access data concurrently, in a form that suits their needs
- There is provision for data security and recovery control (ensuring all data is retrievable in an emergency).
- Working closely with Strategic Information Unit, database programmers to ensure a good ETL infrastructure is in place
- Establishing the needs of users and monitoring user access and security
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters in order to provide fast responses to front-end users
- Mapping out the conceptual design for a planned database
- Considering both back-end organisation of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
- Refining the logical design so that it can be translated into a specific data model
- Further refining the physical design to meet system storage requirements
- Installing and testing new versions of the database management system (dbms)
- Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the data protection act
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Controlling access permissions and privileges
- Developing, managing and testing back-up and recovery plans
- Ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
- Carrying out capacity planning
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Commissioning and installing new applications and customising existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose
- Managing the security and disaster recovery aspects of a database.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Degree in Public Health (Epidemiology/Biostatistics), Biostatistics, Health Informatics.
- 5 -10 years of experience in analytics (data analysis and manipulation), business intelligence analysis and/or database development
- Experience with Electronic Health Record systems analysis, workflow process analysis, data warehouse support analytics, and/or application systems with application of these skills in the health care environment
- Computer skills including proficient knowledge of full Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience in MY SQL, Oracle and BASIC programming language.
- Data analysis and information reporting experience.
- Strong analytical, conceptual and root cause analysis skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously both independently and as part of a team to accomplish goals.
- In-depth understanding of database structure principles
- Experience gathering and analyzing system requirements
- Knowledge of data mining and segmentation techniques
- Familiarity with data visualization tools like Power BI, Tableau, Qlickview or Looker
- Proven analytical skills
- Problem-solving attitude
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email.
Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: close of business, 20 January 2020
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
The SANAC Trust gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organisation. Suitable candidates will be subjected to psychometric testing, personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and employment verification).
The SANAC Trust reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.