Executive Manager: Strategic Information
The South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) Trust leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. The SANAC Trust is recruiting as follows:
Name of Position : Executive Manager: Strategic Information
Reporting to : Chief Executive Officer
Location : SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Duration : 3 Year contract
Salary Level : E
Date of Advert : 29 August 2019
Purpose of the job
The purpose of the position is to lead technical expert responsible for all strategic information responsibilities related to the National Strategic Plan on HIV, TB and STIs, including all monitoring, evaluation, analytics, and reporting of performance and results. under the leadership of the SANAC Chief Executive Officer, s/he will; lead the development, implementation, monitoring and strengthening of the national M&E systems for the HIV, TB and STI’s response in South Africa in line with the NSP, including reporting on progress of indicators against targets, analysis that informs strategic decision making, monitoring and evaluation; monitor and participate in all HIV, TB and STIs surveillance activities in the country; as well as develop and maintain a research agenda on HIV, TB and STIs in the country.
The Executive manager: SI will lead a large team of analysts, programmers, data managers, statisticians and IT specialists to collect, monitor, manage, analyze and disseminate complex data and related findings. Data from the NSP implementation and HIV, TB and STIs surveys are routinely utilized by the South African Government, other bilateral donors, foundations, multilaterals (e.g., UNAIDS), and other stakeholders to drive key HIV, TB and STIs-related funding decisions and health policy.
- Lead the development and implementation of the National Strategic Plan for HIV, TB and STIs reporting, monitoring and evaluation plan for South Africa
- Oversee SANAC’s knowledge management, including development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention linked research
- Guide SANAC and collaborate with development partner stakeholders and other stakeholders on mutually identified critical operational research and/or targeted public health evaluation questions; provides assistance in development of strategies and protocols to address those questions; and helps disseminate findings to the broader SANAC stakeholders, development partners and other relevant stakeholders
- Provide overall technical direction to health information system (HIS) work supporting the National HIV, TB and STI data repository implementation
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for electronic systems used to collect, manage, analyze, report, visualize and disseminate data collected for NSP monitoring; overseeing and participating in the creation, maintenance, and advancement of SANACsupported applications and health information systems;
- Work closely with the SANAC Unit Heads and Provincial Councils on AIDS Secretariat Heads to ensure compatibility and coordination within the NSP M&E framework, SANAC Annual Performance Plan and consistency with national and donor requirements;
- Responsible for providing technical assistance and coordinating with various government and development partners to improve and utilize existing systems for the timely collection, management, analysis, and reporting of valid and reliable data that meet NSP reporting requirements;
- Focus on strengthening the M&E system, building capacity of implementing partners and National, Provincial and District M&E staff, and improving alignment and support to SANAC M&E systems to strengthen SI technical expertise, data quality and data analysis and use.
- Develop and lead the implementation of a robust learning and research agenda for continuous learning, collaboration and adaptation;
- Undertake periodic reviews of HIV, TB and STIs programs and provide guidance on information systems for quality assurance, as well as best practices documentation and reporting;
- Leads, collaborates with or assists SANAC staff on development and preparation of abstracts, posters, presentations, technical briefs and manuscripts resulting from NSP implementation, including the dissemination of information on successful and promising approaches, lessons learned and other program results to SANAC management, donors, Government of SA counterparts, as well as in national and international conferences and symposiums.
- Responds to strategic information inquiries; ensures SI Team events are coordinated; gathers and compiles regular updates for SANAC management.
- Attends external meetings, committees and task teams, including technical working groups, as needed to represent the SANAC SI team
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Masters’ degree from a recognized institution with either monitoring & evaluation, epidemiology, biostatistics and/or demography research methods or related field. A Doctorate Degree in the above will be an added advantage.
- 7 – 10 years of experience in a combination of public health surveillance, monitoring and evaluation or data management.
- Demonstrated experience in statistical analysis, management of large and complex surveillance data sets, use and dissemination of public health data, and provision of technical assistance in these areas.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and analytical capabilities.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing working relationships and collaborating with public health stakeholders, other bilateral and/or multilateral donor agencies and with host-country governments.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to communicate highly technical material to a variety of audiences.
- Capacity to work with a high degree of independence within complex projects.
- Strong project management, organizational, administrative and supervisory skills.
Sound understanding of the work and systems of the South African National AIDS Council Trust
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
- Attention to detail
- Strategic thinking
- Able to work with diverse cultures and communities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including report writing
- Proven ability to communicate and interact with high-level officials from government agencies, NGO’s, international development organisations and the private sector
- High degree of organisational skills, initiative and exceptional problem solving
Applications and copies of certificates should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email.
Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: Close of Business, 20 September 2019.
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organisation.
Key and Vulnerable Populations are encouraged to apply.
Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, psychometric testing, qualification verification and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.