Technical Support Unit – Lead
The South African National AIDS Council Trust (the SANAC Trust) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV, TB & STIs epidemics. The Trust is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. We are, therefore recruiting a Technical Support Unit – Lead for our organization. The incumbent will provide strategic implementation of the SANAC Trust Technical Support Strategy. The position exists within the Technical Support Unit, based in Hatfield, Pretoria.
Name of Position : Technical Support Unit – Lead
Reporting to : Chief Executive Officer
Level : D4
Duration : 3-year contract
Advert Date : 15 April 2019
- Serving as SANAC’s Co-chair of the KP technical task team (TTT) and other TWGs and as a SANAC lead point of contact for all KP related initiatives.
- Acting as a primary technical advisor for the GF CCM and its OC and the principal recipients (PR) on KP.
- Serving as an HIV/AIDS subject matter expert in the area of prevention, care and treatment for key populations.
- Maintaining knowledge of current literature, research, policies and programmatic experiences both domestically and internationally in order to recommend appropriate approaches and best practices for these populations.
- Contributing to formulating SANAC’s strategic approach to key populations / HIV/AIDS.
- Providing SANAC with technical and programmatic advice on the implementation of HIV/TB/STI programs involving all KP and vulnerable populations.
- Working with other KP and VP subject matter experts, support strategies for expanding access to HIV care and support and treatment for KP and VP.
- Developing strategies for reducing stigma and discrimination associated with HIV/TB/STI in KP and VP.
- Providing strategic guidance to provinces and districts and implementing partners on KP and VP HIV/TB/STI prevention planning processes.
- Supporting the development of national programmatic monitoring systems for KP and VP and in addition provide ongoing technical support for the development, implementation and evaluation of prevention and related programs for KP and VP at the country level.
- Analyzing and synthesize national, provincial and district data and research to recommend appropriate strategies and programs to reduce HIV/AIDS transmission and increase uptake of HIV/AIDS services by KP and VP.
- Providing technical assistance by sharing best practices across different SANAC country programs. Reviewing technical quality of projects by conducting site visits to country program locations, reviewing progress and performance and recommend changes in implementation.
- Serving as technical advisor for activities relating to key populations and other vulnerable groups supported through SANAC funded mechanisms.
- Providing technical oversight and guidance for development of PR work plans, written reviews of work plans and work products, and overall guidance on program implementation.
- Playing a key technical role in Global Fund, USG and other relevant TTTs and TWGs and committees working on issues related to KP and VP.
- Contributing to the knowledge base relating to key populations by facilitating and presenting on issues relating to key populations at international, domestic and local meetings, and at workshops and conferences dealing with HIV/TB/STI prevention, care and treatment.
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, social science or other relevant field required. A clinical credential such as medical or allied health degree, and/or experience working in clinical settings preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working on health and HIV/TB/STI programs, with at least three years working with KP programs in resource-limited settings; specific experience with KP programs in South Africa strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with HIV/TB/STI prevention, care and treatment approaches.
- Demonstrated experience in and understanding of issues relating to HIV programming for Key Populations (SW, MSM, TG, and PWID) within developing country settings required.
- Demonstrated skills in data analysis, program design, strategic planning, monitoring systems, and program coordination and implementation within a developing country context.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation and team building skills, and ability to work across agencies and cross-culturally with diverse teams on sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel frequently to developing countries and resource
- Strategic thinking and management
- Assertiveness and resilience
- An understanding of the South African government operations and NGO environment will be an added advantage
- Fluency in at least two South African languages
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
This is a three year performance –based contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Should you meet the above requirements, please send your Comprehensive CV, ID and copies of educational qualifications to HR@sanac.org.za.
PLEASE NOTE FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Closing date: 30 April 2019
The SANAC Trust gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the Trust may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered institution and/or SAPS in relation to positions that require trust, honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances. The Trust may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
THE SANAC TRUST reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.