The South African National AIDS Council Trust (the SANAC Trust) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV, TB & STIs epidemics. The Trust is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. We are, therefore recruiting a Communications Manager for our organization. The incumbent will provide strategic implementation of the SANAC Trust Communications Strategy. The position exists within the Communications Unit, based in Hatfield, Pretoria.
Name of Position : Communications Manager
Reporting to : Chief Executive Officer
Level : D3
Duration : 1-year contract
- Develop and implement a long-term communication strategy incorporating Public Relations and Marketing;
- Prepare Speaking notes for the CEO, Deputy President and Chair of the Board of Trustees as and when required
- Develop and sustain a brand management strategy for the SANAC Brand
- Produce a yearly events calendar plan;
- Manage and oversee internal communications in relation to the Trust’s programmes, projects and activities;
- Formulate and implement public relations strategies and other non-campaigns activities;
- Develop relationships with key media to secure and grow media coverage both online and offline;
- Act as the Trust’s spokesperson with media relations;
- Manage and oversee all SANAC Trust media relations work;
- Enhance the reach and impact the Trust’s work and awareness of HIV, TB and STI issues through proactive engagement with the media;
- Build and maintain relationships with local, regional and key international media houses and journalists; drafting and issuing press releases;
- Organise press conferences, briefings and missions; and promoting the SANAC Trust employees as experts in their fields;
- Monitor press stories relating to the Trust and its brand;
- Collate and analyse current communications and messages, ensuring consistency;
- Maximize opportunities for positive PR and playing down any negative PR;
- Ensure the procedures for media events and press releases are circulated and followed.
- The Communications Manager will be responsible for the public face of the SANAC Trust and will oversee and manage the website and social media activities;
- Ensure that the website is regularly updated and that the website becomes the pre-eminent website on HIV/TB/STI issues in South Africa;
- Under the guidance of the CEO and in consultation with the SANAC Trust Programme Managers, the Communications Manager will be responsible for overseeing the commissioning, final editing, translating if necessary, design and printing of the SANAC Trust publications, including working with external service providers and consultants;
- Oversee the circulation and launch of publications.
- Develop a branding strategy and relevant policies, including use of logos, templates, signage at events etc.;
- Continually enhancing the SANAC Trust brand image;
- Increasing brand awareness internally and externally;
- Monitoring the delivery of brand direction and recommending areas of improvement;
- Providing support through advertisements, media, partnerships and stakeholder relationships;
- Ensure that the SANAC Trust employees follow the branding strategy and policies;
- In consultation with the CEO and Programme Managers, the Communications Manager will provide advocacy support for the Trust campaigns, including providing advocacy advice, editing briefing papers, finalising presentations, and participating in advocacy events;
- The Communications Manager will oversee – and in some cases conduct – media, social media and advocacy training for the SANAC employees to ensure that they are able to provide material for the website, work well with the media and exploit social media to advance open society ideals.
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Post-Graduate Qualification Communications/Marketing from a recognised university
- At least 8 to 10 years’ experience in a management position within a Marketing/Communications/Brand Management position in Government/ Civil Society/ Private Sector environment
- Highly articulate with excellent verbal and written communication
- Strategic thinking
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong knowledge of marketing and public relations
- Self and highly motivated, well organised, detail oriented, creative and innovative
- Good time management skills
- Ability to multi task, prioritize and influence stakeholders
- Understanding the SANAC Trust target market and its dynamics
- Experiences in coordinating complex stakeholder groups are required.
- Detailed orientated, strong secretarial, proofreading, formatting and editing skills
- Strong leadership, capacity building, negotiation and networking skills
- Strategic thinking and management
- Assertiveness and resilience
- An understanding of the South African government operations and NGO environment will be an added advantage
- Be fluent in at least two South African languages
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Show initiative and be deadline-driven
- Have good organisational skills
- Ability to travel as and when required
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
This is a one year performance –based contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Should you meet the above requirements, please send your Comprehensive CV, ID and copies of educational qualifications to HR@sanac.org.za.
PLEASE NOTE FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Closing date: 5 April 2019
The SANAC Trust gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the Trust may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered institution and/or SAPS in relation to positions that require trust, honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances. The Trust may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
THE SANAC TRUST reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.