SANAC CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The South African National Aids Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response.
Name of Position: Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Reporting to: Programme Manager: Implementation Unit
Location: SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Duration: Fixed Term Contract
Advert Date: 24 July 2023
Purpose of the job
The M &E Manager will be the technical reference point on M&E and programmatic issues for Global Fund grants and will ensure effective implementation and compliance with the PR M&E policies and guidelines. The successful incumbent will provide a leadership role in the SANAC SR with a broad range of responsibilities related to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and programmatic components of grants. In close collaboration with all SANAC Trust Units and the PR’s ensure that HIV and TB investments in country achieve the goals and objectives set forth by in-country stakeholders. This includes defining strategic investments in the grants, establishing a framework to measure performance, enabling M&E systems strengthening, liaising with technical partners to improve service quality, and identifying opportunities and strategies to overcome implementation bottlenecks to maximize efficiencies and impact. The incumbent will contribute to the design and management of grants using professional knowledge and experience.
- Lead and advise on strategic investments and develop M&E frameworks / plans and data collection tools for SANAC SR.
- Lead and support the development of indicators and targets for grant monitoring and assessment of performance.
- Put in place data collection mechanisms to inform the grant evaluation.
- Provide strategic guidance on resolving bottlenecks related to data collection, reporting and delivery of quality services.
- Conduct data quality assessment and monitor implementation of the recommendations with the PR’s.
- Support the consolidation of PR reports on results and progress of the grant and respond to other PR needs.
- Provide strategic information for programmatic improvements and adjustments.
- Support learning and application of data to continuously improve the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability of the grant programme.
- Ensure that Global Fund HIV and TB investments are appropriate to the country’s epidemiological context, are in alignment with the National Strategic Plan.
- Strengthen SR’s M&E systems and improve program and data quality
- Provide technical advice to SR’s in planning and implementation of M & E activities at country level.
- Ensure that adequate funds are allocated for data systems development and maintenance for routine reporting.
- Ensure establishment of systems for the measurement of data in priority work streams (such as women, girls and key populations).
- In close collaboration with the PR’s define programmatic evaluation needs.
- Ensure that quality standard operating procedures for M&E are developed and contextualized to the South African environment for supported programmes.
- Participate in on site data verification meetings to assess quality of services, standard of care with the PR’s.
- Provide advice on risk management plan linked to program and data quality including risk mitigation measures and assurance mechanisms.
- Support all SANAC Units to achieve high quality M&E results in accordance with the targets identified in the National Strategic Plan for HIV, TB and STIs 2023-2028.Reporting
- Produce SANAC SR reports to stakeholders and reporting to SANAC on key population programmes.
- Lead the SR in documenting the best practices, case studies, reflections on national work, and contribute to research for key populations.
- In collaboration with all SANAC units, produce timely and accurate programme reports for the the PR’s and other Stakeholders.
- Oversee the development of work plan activities for SR and provide technical assistance where needed for appropriate programme monitoring and reporting.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Degree in Public Health, health system management, health economics, epidemiology, or related field.
- 7-10 years of professional experience nationally working in planning, management and M&E of programs in the health sector, including in developing countries.
- Sound M&E knowledge and experience in public health and disease program management with focus on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and STIs.
- Robust experience in planning, collecting, analysing and reporting information for assessing progress and ensuring program and data quality.
- Solid experience in developing partnership in M&E and in managing complex M&E issues and deliverables at country, regional and international level.
- Rich professional experience, including a track record of working in strategy and policy analysis, program planning and management, and/or equivalent experience.
- Solid understanding and experience of strategic, organizational and management issues.
- Solid understanding of Global Fund processes and the Global Fund New Funding Model.
- Ability to apply sound knowledge of M&E, public health and disease program management, to inform investment decisions of HIV and TB programmes.
- Ability to apply sound knowledge and understanding of M&E tools, policies and guidelines, to ensure effective implementation of M&E-related activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Project management skills;
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas; and
- Articulate and professional and the ability to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff
- Computer literacy with high proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Fluent in at least one South African language besides English
- Good planning and organising skills
- Excellent writing skills
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: 4th August 2023, Close of Business at 16:30
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organization. Suitable candidates will be subjected to assessment(s) (if applicable) and personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification, and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.