Database Administrator/Health Informatics
The South African National AIDS Council Trust (the SANAC Trust) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV, TB & STIs epidemics. The Trust is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. We are, therefore recruiting a Database Administrator/Health Informatics for our organization. The position is based in Hatfield, Pretoria.
Name of Position : Database Administrator/Health Informatics
Reporting to : Executive Manager: Strategic Information
Location : Pretoria
Job level : D1
Duration : 2 years
Advert Date : 09 September 2020
Purpose of the job
The database administrator will be responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of SANAC Situation Room. Responsibilities include maintaining existing SQL instances and deploying new instances, maintaining existing infrastructures for database and reporting systems, as well as generating adhoc reports to respond to business needs, as well as designing and maintaining data warehouse scripts and schemas to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our enterprise applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Working closely with Strategic Information Unit, database programmers to ensure a good ETL infrastructure is in place
- Administration and management of databases environments
- Performance tuning and optimization of database schema, indexes and stored procedures
- Manage and maintain reporting systems using database maintenance activities such as back-up recovery, rebuilding and re-organizing
- Ensure that all database releases are properly assessed and measured from a functionality and performance perspective
- Maintain current data warehousing schemas and scripts
- Produce documentation on data flow, release notes and process flow as required
- Create Users and assign permissions based on the level of database access the user would need
- Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the data protection act
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Creating Users and Controlling access permissions and privileges
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Commissioning and installing new applications and customising existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose
- Managing the security and disaster recovery aspects of a database.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Diploma/Degree in Computer Science / Information Technology / Data Science / Software Engineering
- Experience with DHIS, TIER.Net, ETR.NET, DATIM and Health Indicators will be an added advantage
- 3 -5 years of experience in analytics (data analysis and manipulation), business intelligence analysis and/or database development working in the health sector or similar will provide a strong advantage in considering candidates.
- Ability to design, build and test data pipelines in line with business requirements
- Experience with Record systems analysis, workflow process analysis, data warehouse support analytics, and/or application systems with application of these skills in the health care environment
- Computer skills including proficient knowledge of full Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience in MY SQL, Oracle and BASIC programming language.
- Strong analytical, conceptual and root cause analysis skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously both independently and as part of a team to accomplish goals.
- In-depth understanding of database structure principles
- Experience gathering and analyzing system requirements
- Knowledge of data mining and segmentation techniques
- Familiarity with data visualization tools like Power BI, Tableau, Qlickview or Looker
- Problem-solving attitude
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email.
Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: close of business, 01 October 2020
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
The SANAC Trust gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organisation. Suitable candidates will be subjected to psychometric testing, personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and employment verification).
The SANAC Trust reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.