Executive Manager: NSP Implementation
The South African National Aids Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response.
Name of Position : Executive Manager: NSP Implementation
Reporting to : CEO
Location : SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Grading : E1
Duration : 3 Years (Renewable subject to funding availability)
Advert Date : 21 July 2021
Purpose of the job
To provide technical leadership and oversight for the coordination of the implementation of the National Strategic Plan HIV, STIs and TBThe incumbent will, amongst others Lead, guide and support the national coordination for effective implementation of the NSP, Support the coordination and oversee the implementation of effective HIV prevention strategies; Review, update and complete national strategies and plans to guide the HIV response for the general population, and Engage with civil society sectors and development partners to align their resources and programmes to the key priorities as identified in the NSP.
The incumbent will operate under the leadership of the SANAC Chief Executive Officer, and oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness and timeous delivery of all NSP implementation coordination activities according to SANAC APP targets.
Strategic NSP Implementation
- Provide technical expertise and guidance for the development and coordination of programmes within the National Strategic Plan Implementation Unit.
- Commission, review and make recommendations for the launch of mass communication campaigns related to the structural drivers of the HIV, TB and STIs epidemics
- Conduct a comprehensive review of the supply, distribution, promotion and utilisation of HIV prevention commodities;
- Identify priorities of the NSP that will ensure the biggest impact on the HIV, TB and STIs epidemic is achhieved
- Support priority NSP programmes through campaigns, resource mobilisation or the management of cross cutting programmes
- Review of epidemiology, legal framework, prevention and treatment services for general population and recommendations for addressing policy and programme gaps.
- Ensure optimal financial management of the the NSP Implementation Unit.
- Provision of quarterly progress and expenditure reports, variance analysis and management plan
- Support the SANAC CFO as part of the management team to ensure that the NSP Implementation Unit responds to all audit findingsand financial reporting timeously.
- Work with the internal auditors and financial risk committee to identify and minimise risks.
Leadership and Strategic Direction
- Support the CEO in preparations for leadership and strategic role by providing information and analyses that informs their speeches, presentations, remarks and any interactions as indicated.
- Attend meetings/conferences with CEO or in CEO’s place when required to do so, and networking and building relationships with international and local stakeholders. Leading some of the elements that directly inform this role of the CEO.
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition for the NSP implementation coordination activities.
Contribution to International Role:
- Contribute to the thought leadership at international think tanks/war rooms/conferences on HIV and TB held by UN agencies, international NGOs and bilateral agencies, including SA participation at International AIDS forums.
- Support the CEO in attendance of meetings, networking and communication to ensure that South Africa is acknowledged in the global arena
- Attend with and/or stand in for the CEO when he participates and/or leads the development and implementation of regional proposals to international donors.
Contribution to Local Role: South African National AIDS Council
- Support the CEO in providing strategic input for the Presidency and supporting the running of the Plenary, the Inter- ministerial committee that brings together all SANAC IMC government Ministers and Deputy Ministers and Premiers to facilitate optimal policy decisions and prioritisation and use of funds across all 9 provinces and all national government departments.
- Support the CEO in the preparation of all government submissions, cabinet memos and responses to parliamentary questions.
- Support the CEO and other executives in the preparation and submission of business plans to funding departments/agencies and the preparation of budget submissions to national treasury.
- Support the CEO to strengthen political commitment to the National Strategic Plan with all key stakeholders
- Support the CEO to facilitate the development and provision of structured guidance on policy development and review to national government departments (Health, Basic Education, Women, Higher Education, Social Development, Public Administration, Prosecuting Authority) in respect of HIV, TB and STIs from all 9 provinces, civil society and technical experts
- Support the CEO and other executives to be able to support Civil Society Sectors to implement programmes through strategic support and leadership, enabling their capacity to be built and raising funds for priority programmes as identified by civil society.
- Support the CEO and other executives to develop national strategies and costed implementation plans to address priorities within the 18 civil society sectors.
- Lead the setting up and maintenance of Multi-sectoral National Technical Task Teams and TWGs that will lead the prioritisation of the country’s efforts for each of the NSP Strategic Objectives including TB and STI’s
- Support the CEO to provide thought leadership for the NSP in respect of publications, public speaking arrangements, contributions in all Trust and SANAC committees, contributions in international committees and forums and scientific meetings and journals.
Work on collaboration with SANAC SI Executive on strengthening a Research Agenda to strengthen the TB/HIV response as well as Development and Innovation for the NSP for HIV/TB and STIs
- Noting that SA is a leader in research in HIV and TB with evidence being produced that informs WHO and UNAIDS policies, work in partnership with SI Executive and stand in as needed at meetings to ensure that SANAC can provide thought leadership and support to academic research institutions to guide and review the work being done.
- Support the SANAC SI Executive as needed to ensure that SANAC can inform and guide the regular national HIV surveillance research done by research entities.
- Support the SI Executive in identifying priorities for the national HIV and TB research agenda
- Support the SI Executive to ensure the outcomes of all such research is synthesised and incorporated into the National Strategic Plans and lead the incorporation into funding proposals as appropriate.
Human Resource Management of NSP Unit
- Provide strategic leadership to the NSP human resources staff to ensure development and implementation of human resource policies and procedures that will enable the organisation to carry out its mandate.
- Guide, support, and management the performance of all staff in the NSP Implementation Unit to ensure efficiency and knowledge sharing across the management units and objectives are met timeously and to a high standard.
- Working with other SMC Executive, ensure integration and alignment of SANAC Provincial, District and Local personnel roles with overall NSP objectives and deliverables.
- Lead the recruitment, selection, training, and performance management of all NSP Implementation unit staff members.
- Lead the recruitment and selection and management of all consultants used within the NSP Implementation Unit- to ensure optimal use of funds and the contribution of experts to the work done by the unit.
Strategic Communication, advocacy and networking
- Network with international and local thought leaders, political leaders, private sector leaders, government officials, advocacy groups, civil society leaders, and non-government organisations to understand their priorities, build the profile of SANAC profile and ensure optimal participation in all SANAC structures.
- Support the CEO in preparations to ensure the Deputy President is thoroughly briefed and prepared for all communication on SANAC and HIV and TB matters with all stakeholders.
- Support Civil Society together with SMC Unit with respect to their advocacy agenda.
- Contribute via SMC Unit to the development and implementation of appropriate national campaigns to communicate and advance priorities identified.
- Contribute to the development of the country’s UNGASS report in partnership with SI Unit.
- Work with SI Unit and Contribute to the development and implementation of a Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation Plan for the NSP to track all contributions from government, private sector and civil society to the implementation of the NSP and support SI Unit to publish programmatic program reports regularly.
- Lead the coordination, the development, and the preparation of the National Strategic Plan every five years in a way that ensures all SANAC stakeholders are involved meaningfully, and lessons learnt are incorporated.
- Contribute and support the development of the to the mid-term and end-term reviews of the National Strategic Plan programmes nationally.
- Lead and co-ordinate all the necessary changes to the National Strategic Plan
- Contribute to the support provided to the implementation of the NSP in all national and provincial government departments, all 18 civil society sectors and the private sector.
- Contribute to the capacity building of the Provincial, District and Local AIDS Councils.
- Contribute to the capacity building of the 18 civil society sectors.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree qualification in in Public Health or similar.
- Additional postgraduate qualification in Public Health will be a
- Any management qualifications will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in public health environment in SA
- Minimum of 5 years of strategic leadership, management responsibility including staff performance and budgetary controls.
- Minimum of 5 years management experience in HIV and/or TB, with at least 2 years of which would have been in a position focusing at provincial or national level.
- Working with multiple stakeholders in the delivery of complex projects.
- Extensive experience in managing stakeholder management, Working with Development partners, Civil society sector and private as well as donors.
- Experience in working in the NGO sector and other sectors (government, academic and private sector would be an added advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of the South African public health system, its systems and processes.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of HIV and TB epidemics in South Africa.
- Leadership, Strategic thinking, negotiation and management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good communication in English, both written and verbal
- Ability to manage complex situations, including political situations
- Networking and diversity management skills.
- Assertiveness and resilience
- Advanced Computer literacy (MS Office, Outlook)
- Strong project management skills.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: Close of Business: 11 August 2021 (17:00)
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organization. Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.