The South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. One of our roles is to collaborate with and provide guidance to PEPFAR in respect of optimising its investments in HIV and TB prevention and to ensure alignment with the National Strategic Plan 2012 – 2016. We are, therefore, recruiting for an HIV Technical Advisor position that exists within the Donor Co-ordination Unit in Pretoria.
POSITION: HIV TECHNICAL ADVISOR
DURATION: 12 MONTHS CONTRACT
- Coordinate activities around the PEPFAR Partnership Framework Implementation Plan Prevention Work stream, as part of the Partnership Framework Implementation Plan (PFIP)
- Work closely with USAID, CDC and National Department of Health within the Prevention Work Stream to influence the allocation of US Government funds to prevention programmes
- Identify and suggest enhancements to existing programmes to maximise impact of available funds
- Provide secretarial support to PFIP Prevention workstream
- Track PEPFAR investments in prevention and link with Global Fund investments
- Optimise co-investments from PEPFAR and GF.
- Lead the development of a geospatial approach to HIV prevention
- Provide secretariat services to the national geospatial working group that is co-led by SANAC and the NDOH
- Work with multiple stakeholders to develop guidelines that document how to
- Use routine data to map HIV prevalence and identify HIV hotspots
- Profile hotspots to understand the drivers of new HIV infections
- Then pilot the implementation of geospatial mapping and hot spot profiling in a district
- Then update the guidelines
- Continue to work with various SANAC partners who are interested in this concept and who may be planning and implementing versions of this process.
- Update the guidelines when the TB prevalence survey becomes available to include identification of TB hotspots.
- Use the lessons learned to support geospatial mapping for identified provinces/areas
- Lead the development of an HIV Prevention strategy that includes geospatial mapping
- Develop a prevention strategy for SANAC that is based on a geospatial mapping and hotspot profiling with an optimum package of interventions.
- Consult with broad range of stakeholders on the optimum package of interventions.
- Liaise closely with contributing operational units and processes at SANAC e.g. Prevention Technical Task Team, M&E Unit, NSP implementation subunits, NSP MTR and new NSP development
- Liaise closely with stakeholders to ensure the latest work on key populations is incorporated into the package of interventions.
- Work with the M&E unit to identify indicators to track the implementation of the prevention strategy.
- Work with the health economist and the Costing Technical Task Team to cost elements of the strategy.
- Provide support to Executive Manager: Donor Coordination and the CEO as requested.
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Post graduate qualification in Public Health or equivalent.
- At least 10 years’ experience in a management position within a government/Civil Society environment
- An excellent understanding of the HIV and TB epidemic in the country, especially prevention.
- Proven ability to co-ordinate complex stakeholder groups is required.
- An understanding of both the South African government operations and NGO environment will be an added advantage.
- Use of Geospatial mapping for decision making would be an added benefit.
- Excellent English language fluency, both written and verbal, and with sound presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think strategically about long-term programme objectives and the detailed steps necessary to achieve them.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in fast-paced, high-pressure situations.
- Ability to work independently on complex projects and solve challenging situations with limited structural or operational support.
- Ability to travel upon request.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Show initiative and be deadline-driven
- Excellent networking skills
- Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Flexibility to work beyond regular core business hours as needed.
- Valid Code B Driver’s license.
This is a performance-based contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The final terms of the contract are negotaible and dependent on the suitability of the candidate.
Should you meet the above requirements, please send your CV and certified copies of educational qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Closing date: 7 September 2015
SANAC gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that SANAC may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered institution and/or SAPS in relation to positions that require trust, honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances. SANAC may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
SANAC reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.