SANAC CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The South African National Aids Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response.
Name of Position: Senior Researcher (Re-advertised)
Reporting to: Strategic Information Manager
Location: SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Duration: Fixed Term Contract
Advert Date: 05th May 2023
Purpose of the job
Responsible for developing, leading and supporting research projects within existing and new programmes and where necessary establish research and academic collaboration for SANAC. Leading and developing the organisation’s research strategy as well as expanding SANAC research portfolio and research leadership in SANAC technical task teams and other coordination forums.
- In consultation with stakeholders coordinate the development of the National Strategic Plan (NSP) Research and Evaluation Agenda
- Lead the development and implementation of a strategy to build SANAC as an organisation that produces credible research
- Advise and support the development and implementation of the SANAC research agenda
- Work with the SANAC Resource Mobilization and Donor Coordination Unit to develop concept notes and donor proposals to fund research projects in support of SANAC research agenda
- Conduct research for new areas (innovation) for SANAC in order to inform the organisation’s strategy
- Provide support to projects in design, data collection, data analysis and report writing, covering operations research, policy research, baseline studies, surveys, literature review in support of the SANAC research agenda
- Produce and coordinate the development and dissemination of publications (both peer-reviewed and non-peer reviewed), policy briefs and opinion pieces
- Take the lead on bridging the gap between research/evidence and practice/programming
- To develop and oversee research related systems for the organisation, including ethics, data quality assurance and managing intellectual property
- To establish strategic research and academic partnerships
- Support the dissemination and use of research and evidence in the organisation
- Represent SANAC at relevant research forums, such as conferences, with partner agencies / NGOs / government agencies
- Ensure the availability of data for NSP indicators which require surveys/surveillance such as Key Population Bio-Behavioural Surveys (BBS) or Key Population Size Estimates (PSE)
- Write progress reports to stakeholders including networks and funders.
- Stay abreast with relevant research findings and collaborate closely with other investigators on related studies responding to the NSP.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Honours/ Masters Degree in Public Health, Development Studies, Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, and/or a related technical field. A PhD or equivalent will be an advantage
- 5 to 10 years’ experience in Public Health, Development Studies, Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, and/or a related technical field and Monitoring and Evaluation of HIV and TB with a good record of research publications
- Indepth knowledge and understanding of the South Africa HIV and TB epidemic and national response, the legislative, and policy environment including the National Strategic Plans on HIV, STIs and TB and SANAC’s mandate.
- Aptitude for policy, strategic planning, system development and organizational skills, including results orientation.
- Proven ability to work with large data sets and ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses.
- Excellent English Ability (written and spoken)
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Computer Literate, and statistical packages
- Excellent Self-management and interpersonal skills
- Innovative and Teamwork Driven
- Valid Driver’s license
Applications with a detailed CV should be emailed to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: 17th May 2023 by Close of Business at 16:30
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organization. Suitable candidates will be subjected to assessment(s) (if applicable) and personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification, and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.