SANAC CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The South African National Aids Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response.
Name of Position: Technical TB Advisor
Reporting to: Lead: Technical Support Unit
Location: SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Advert Date: 14 April 2023
Purpose of the job
The Technical TB Advisor will be the technical lead on TB for SANAC Technical Support Unit (TSU), National Strategic Plan (NSP) unit, Global Fund Principal Recipients (PRs) and Oversight Committee. This position will provide overall strategic direction in the implementation of the TB priorities as outlined in the NSP in collaboration with all the major stakeholders.
- Provide overall strategic leadership on the implementation of the country and GF TB initiatives in collaboration with all the major stakeholders.
- Collaborate with provincial and district departments of health and TB Stakeholders on the finding missing TB patients project and provide technical assistance required to achieve the expected outputs of the grant
- Provide technical leadership for SANAC in the coordination of all training and technical needs assessments and identify suitable opportunities to support components of TB initiatives in the country.
- Identify and disseminate best practices on the implementation of TB Care and Treatment programme
- Identify bottlenecks and implement recommend remedial interventions with regard to the provision of TB activities.
- Ensure that the TSU supports the development of quality standard operating procedures for the TB GF TB programme and their contextualization to the South African environment for key population groups.
- Participate in conducting deep dive analysis meetings in the districts to assess quality of services, standard of care for KPs.
- Provide advice on risk management plan linked to program and data quality including risk mitigation measures and assurance mechanisms.
- Provide strategic guidance on resolving bottlenecks related to TB programme implementation, data collection, reporting and delivery of quality services.
- Support SANAC and the Global Fund in the achievement of high quality results in accordance with the targets identified in the National Strategic Plan for HIV, TB and STIs 2017-2022.
- Ensure that SANAC units and GF PRs capture, prepare and update TB program performance data on a regular basis.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual activity reports.
- Produce regular bulletins on pertinent issues affecting the TB initiatives in the GF grant
- Monitor and ensure good financial record keeping and deliver targets within budget for the GF programme.
- Produce TSU reports to stakeholders and reporting to SANAC on TB initiatives.
- Lead the TSU in documenting the best practices, case studies, reflections on national work, and contribute to research for TB.
Advocacy and Human Rights
- Provide strategic guidance and coordination of advocacy work with key population groups for universal access to TB and HIV leveraging on Global Fund and other donor funding to overcome structural barriers.
Value for Money
- Lead the TSU in ensuring that key TB prevention and treatment programmes achieve value for money by being efficient and economical.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Advanced Degree in Public Health, Nursing, or other relevant field, preferably with a specialization in epidemiology or infectious disease.
- MPH would be an advantage
- At least 7-10 years of experience, preferably in South Africa, in TB policy and programme implementation technical skills.
- A strong record of leading similar initiatives with the Department of Health in South Africa and/or other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the HIV and TB stakeholders in the country and be well-connected with influential role players in those sectors.
- Knowledge of HIV and TB social determinants of disease including gender and human rights related issues.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Demonstrated skills in data analysis, program design, strategic planning, monitoring systems, and program coordination and implementation within a developing country context.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation and team building skills, and ability to work across agencies and cross-culturally with diverse teams on sensitive issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience in and understanding of issues relating to HIV programming for Key Populations (SW, MSM, TG, and PWID) within developing country settings.
- Experience working with civil society organizations to plan and implement clinical HIV programs.
- Experience identifying, designing and brokering public-private partnerships.
- Experience with working in an international NGO environment
- Willingness to travel extensively within the country or region and internationally if needed (60% of time).
- Valid drivers’ license
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: 21 April 2023, Close of Business at 16:30
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organization. Suitable candidates will be subjected to assessment(s) (if applicable) and personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification, and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.