SANAC CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The South African National Aids Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response.
Name of Position: Senior Researcher
Reporting to: Manager: Strategic Information
Location: SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Duration: Fixed term contract
Advert Date: 12 April 2022
Purpose of the job
Responsible for developing, leading and supporting research projects within existing and new programmes and where necessary establish research and academic collaboration for SANAC. Leading and developing the organisation’s research strategy as well as expanding SANAC research portfolio and research leadership in SANAC technical task teams and other coordination forums.
- In consultation with stakeholders coordinate the development of the National Strategic Plan (NSP) Research and Evaluation Agenda
- Lead the development and implementation of a strategy to build SANAC as an organisation that produces credible research
- Advise and support the development and implementation of the SANAC research agenda
- Work with the SANAC Resource Mobilisation and Donor Coordination Unit to develop concept notes and donor proposals to fund research projects in support of SANAC research agenda
- Conduct research for new areas (innovation) for SANAC in order to inform the organisation’s strategy
- Provide support to projects in design, data collection, data analysis and report writing, covering operations research, policy research, baseline studies, surveys, literature review in support of the SANAC research agenda
- Produce and coordinate the development and dissemination of publications (both peer-reviewed and non-peer reviewed), policy briefs and opinion pieces
- Take the lead on bridging the gap between research/evidence and practice/programming
- To develop and oversee research related systems for the organisation, including ethics, data quality assurance and managing intellectual property
- To establish strategic research and academic partnerships
- Support the dissemination and use of research and evidence in the organisation
- Represent SANAC at relevant research forums, such as conferences, with partner agencies / NGOs / government agencies
- Ensure the availability of data for NSP indicators which require surveys/surveillance such as Key Population Bio-Behavioural Surveys (BBS) or Key Population Size Estimates (PSE)
- Write progress reports to stakeholders including networks and funders.
- Stay abreast with relevant research findings and collaborate closely with other investigators on related studies responding to the NSP.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Development Studies, Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, and/or a related technical field.
- A PhD or equivalent will be an advantage
- A minimum of 5 to 10 years’ experience in Public Health, Development Studies, Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, and/or a related technical field and Monitoring and Evaluation of HIV and TB with a good record of research publications
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the South Africa HIV and TB epidemic and national response, the legislative, and policy environment including the National Strategic Plans on HIV, STIs and TB and SANAC’s mandate.
- Aptitude for policy, strategic planning, system development and organizational skills, including results orientation.
- Proven ability to work with large data sets and ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses.
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Advanced competence in MS Word, Excel, and statistical packages
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Driver’s license
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: Close of Business: 2 May 2022 (17:00)
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organization. Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.