SANAC CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. The SANAC Trust is the lead applicant of the European Union (EU) grant on behalf of the SANAC Civil Society Forum to strengthen community-led responses to mitigate the socio–economic impact of COVID-19 on human rights and gender.
Name of Position : Communications Officer
Reporting to : Civil Society Forum Coordinator
Location : SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Grading : C3
Duration : 24 months
Advert Date : 17 November 2021
Purpose of the job
Responsible for the development and implementation of the project communications strategy to inform and guide national, provincial and district campaigns to mitigate the socio–economic impact of COVID-19 on human rights and gender equality. The successful candidate will manage the distribution and popularization of CSF rights-based content across different platforms, customising these for different target audiences and geographic contexts.
- Develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on the target audience
- Manage the Community Matters Technology
- Draft, edit and distribute content and products that include, but are not limited to: publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organisation’s activities, products and services aligned with the EU Communication and Visibility guidelines.
- Promote communications and marketing materials through appropriate social channels
- Provide guidance and support related to responses to media inquiries and arrange interviews
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics
- Respond to media inquiries and perform media outreach to achieve brand placement in publications
- Develop escalation protocols for managing communication crises, should they arise
- Monitor and Evaluate on-going creation and management of photography, Signage etc
- Development and updating of the branding strategy
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Marketing or Communication degree or an allied qualification
- Three -five years of relevant experience within the development field or national media/organisations
- 3- 5 years of direct experience in press and/or media relations management/
- At least 2 years must be in a supervision or coordinating position in communications and campaign management.
- Demonstrable understanding of strategic media engagement
- Experience with building communications capacity among civil society organisations/networks
- Professional knowledge of advocacy and policy principles, and the use of media for public advocacy
- Email campaign development, online community, and grassroots outreach mobilization
- Must possess exceptional writing skills and be able to compose engaging and accurate content
- Strong communicator who works well independently and with a team
- Superior time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Understanding of communications, public relations and marketing best practices
- Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts
- Must be resourceful and take initiative even when given minimal direction
- Building brand recognition and identity in a development, government, or corporate space.
- Knowledge of data packaging, information management, and social media tools and tactics.
- Good writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Basic knowledge of content management systems, especially WordPress.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: Close of Business: 7 December 2021 (17:00)
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organization. Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.