SANAC CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The South African National Aids Council (SANAC) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV and AIDS, TB & STIs epidemics. SANAC is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response.
Name of Position: Project Officer: Human Rights
Reporting to: Programme Manager: Implementation Unit
Location: SANAC Head Office, Pretoria
Duration: Fixed Term Contract
Advert Date: 26 October 2023
Purpose of the job
The incumbent will support implementation of the Human Rights (HR) programme under South African National AIDS Council’s (SANAC) implementation unit. S/he will support the manager in providing strategic guidance to the programme guided by the activities in the Global Fund grant and other programmes, informed by the National Strategic Plan and the objectives of the national Human Rights plan. The successful candidate will also be required manage and oversee implementation and coordination of multiple Human Rights projects implemented through other partners.
S/he will also support (sometimes) lead identification of, and respond to, programme needs, in particular to capacity building; networking; promoting dialogue and advocacy; strengthening of platforms that improve programme implementation, joint planning and effective linkages between civil society, government, SANAC Sectors and community organisations other role players at national, provincial, district and sub-district level, focusing on building sustainable networks, systems and structures to respond to HIV and TB.
S/he will also support processes to develop tools and mechanisms to strengthen monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) processes; capture and promote HR best practice; and increasing transparency and dialogue on performance of HIV and TB services at all levels. He/she must monitor quality of programme in order to ensure improved, unblock bottlenecks in the programme implementation. Additionally the incumbent is expected to be part of National Technical Working Groups, where they will present / discuss best practice in these programmes. The incumbent will be required to go deeper into districts where services are provided to assess quality of services; standard of care and ensure there is an overall improvement on uptake of services. The incumbent must ensure that there are ways to improve overall peer outreach and value for money amongst key populations as well as ensuring key populations rights are preserved.
- Support the manager in effective implementation and coordination of the human rights programme’s interventions.
- Track HR budget & procurement in accordance with donor guidelines and assisting finance manager with budget reviews; preparation of HR program’s narrative reports.
- Provide ongoing support to service providers for national programmes in all aspects of the HR programmes
- Provide ongoing support to civil society and government stakeholders during grant implementation for optimising the design and implementation of programmes to reduce human rights barriers and adjusting them to the COVID-19 related restrictions
- Ensure the documentation of human rights violations and response avenues.
- Optimising the design and implementation of programmes to ensure operational efficiencies, data collection and reporting
- Provide programmatic support in HIV prevention, care and treatment activities including community-based outreach, peer education/navigation, health clinic/hospital/other public and private facility service provision, behaviour change communication, treatment and care and referrals for HIV, STI, Gender Based Violence ( GBV), and FP services.
- Ensure quality work on standard operating procedures contextualized to the South Africa environment assuring confidentiality and mitigation if required.
- Contribute to program quality according to national standards including quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives.
- Support production of timely and accurate technical reports.
- Oversee reporting, monitoring and evaluation of national programmes, including statistical reports and donor reports;
- Facilitate development of work plan activities; ensure appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinates collaborate efforts in program implementation including assisting in the provision of technical assistance to GF implementation partners for the provision of high quality services.
- Document best practice, case studies, reflections on national work, and contribute to research.
Value for Money
- Ensure assessment on value for money on key populations programmes; in essence key populations programmes must be efficient and economical
- Ensure well costed and documented programme outcomes
- Provide support and other tasks that may be allocated
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- A degree or diploma in Public Health or related field or equivalent
- Over 3 years of demonstrated project management, with substantial HIV prevention, care, and treatment.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated excellence in related projects, preferably in development programmes context and working with KP groups
- Understanding of the Human Rights, in the context of key populations, landscape
- Knowledge of processes for developing and implementing HIV prevention, care, and treatment programs with key population groups in South Africa.
- Proven skills in project management, leadership and networking.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding public health issues among key populations in South Africa.
- Ability to manage and complete numerous tasks with a high degree of organization and limited resources.
- Experience working with civil society organizations to plan and implement clinical HIV programs.
- Experience of proactively identifying risk, addressing issues and appropriately communicating these to the programme manager.
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different organizations and cultures.
- Ability to meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality.
- Ability to travel within the country or region and internationally if needed.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email. Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late or faxed will not be considered.
Closing date: 6th November 2023, Close of Business at 16:30
Note that correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. If you have not been contacted within two (2) months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
SANAC gives preference to South African candidates who meet the job requirement and who will add to the culture and gender diversity of the organization. Suitable candidates will be subjected to assessment(s) (if applicable) and personnel suitability check(s) (citizenship, credit record checks, security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification, and employment verification).
SANAC reserves the right at any time to withdraw or alter this advertised position.